- Oil for greasing
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 lb. button mushrooms
- 32 cherry tomatoes
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut in chunks
- Oil your metal skewers, or soak and then oil some wooden ones. Set aside.
- In a 9×13 inch glass baking dish, whisk together the spice powder, soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, and agave. .
- Put on skewers the, tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers, alternating colors.
- Set the skewers into the baking dish of prepared marinade and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turning several times and re-covering with plastic before returning the pan to refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, remove the pan from the fridge.
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Remove the skewers from the pan. Save the marinade.
- Heat until the vegetables start to turn dark.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the rest of the marinade in a bowl for dipping.
This will go well with a salad and/or over a bed of rice.
Vegetarian Fiesta Lasagna
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound medium firm tofu, cut into cube
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Dash ground cumin
- Dash dried coriander
- Generous dash black pepper
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 corn tortillas
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 ounces sliced black olives, drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (or vegan cheese)
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and heat over a medium flame.
- Add the tofu cubes.
- Brown the tofu cubes on each side, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick.
- Spray the bottom of a glass 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make a layer of 6 tortillas on the bottom, overlapping the edges of the tortillas.
- Top with tortillas with half the tofu and sauce.
- Sprinkle on half each of the corn and olives.
- Sprinkle on a bit less than half the cheese.
- Add the next layer of tortillas
- Repeat the layer process.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- For a heartier meal, swap a can of low-sodium black beans for the black olives.